Many animals are plagued with allergies, much like their human parents. It is often difficult to determine what is wrong with your pet when they are lethargic, sniffling, coughing, or portraying other unhealthy symptoms. Foods and environmental factors are usually responsible for pet allergies, though there are many other potential causes to consider. Our team at Magruder Tabb Animal Clinic, in Yorkton, VA, can conduct some tests to determine the cause of the pets’ allergies and prescribe medication or activities that will return your pet to good health.
Types of Allergies in Dogs
Skin allergies, food allergies, and environmental factors can all lead to allergies. According to the American Kennel Club, dogs experience three main types of allergies:
- Skin Allergies: The causes for skin allergies include food allergies, environmental allergens, flea, and tick dermatitis.
- Food Allergies: Many dogs have food sensitivities or food intolerance. Some common food allergies include beef, chicken, eggs, corn, wheat, soy, and dairy products. They can cause gastrointestinal issues like vomiting and diarrhea. Food allergies can also lead to infections, itchiness, and a dull coat.
- Acute Allergies: Dogs can go into anaphylactic shock if they come in contact with allergens. The allergies may be due to vaccines, drugs, or food. This may lead to swelling in the face, throat, lips, and even eyelids.
Allergy Symptoms in Dogs
The following behaviors may indicate the presence of allergies:
- Inflamed, swollen skin
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- Itchy ears or chronic ear infections
- Runny, red, and itchy eyes
- Loss of hair due to licking or scratching
- Flaky or dry skin
- Sightings of fleas or ticks
Some of these allergy symptoms can overlap, so it is crucial that a veterinarian sees your pet and conducts the necessary tests to treat your dog.
Dog Allergy Treatment
Our veterinarian will evaluate your pet’s conditions to determine what is causing your pet’s allergies. There are many different treatments for pet allergies. If your pet is itching, check them for fleas and ticks and purchase a shampoo and flea collar to repel the pests. There are also some products online that for dogs with skin and food allergies. You may need to make lifestyle adjustments to avoid certain allergens if your pet is allergic to things in the environment.
Contact Our Veterinarian for Pet Allergy Treatment in Yorktown, VA
If you are looking for pet allergy treatment in Yorktown, VA, contact Magruder-Tabb Animal Clinic today by calling (757) 865-6510.